With the Christmas season upon us, we all know how much fun it is to load up the kids and make a night of traveling around the area looking at all of the beautiful twinkling lights and displays. There are so many right here in Austin, and also the surrounding areas around the city. Knowing where and when these displays are decorated in their finest is important when venturing out. I thought I would outline some of the well-known ones, as well as some that you might not even know about. So, let’s look at Christmas lights in the Austin area…
Popular Austin Christmas Light Displays
- Some of the more familiar displays include the Trail of Lights. It is a drive through event again this year and it will be lit through the 31st. You can purchase tickets at their website.
- Another really fun activity, of course, is the Zilker Holiday Tree. This tree stands 155 feet tall and boasts over 3300 lights! It has already been lit, and you can join in the fun of twirling around under the big tree nightly from now until January 1st, from 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. Watching your children’s faces light up is heart-warming as they find the fun in getting dizzy under the tree! (And can you truly say you have “had the Austin experience” if you haven’t spun under this tree?) Please check the city’s website for mask requirements.
- Another beautiful seasonal sight to take in is the display at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. The Center is at 4801 La Crosse Avenue in South Austin. This event will be held on the weekends from December 2nd to January 30th, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Please see their website for pricing.
- Mozart’s Coffee Roasters at 3825 Lake Austin Blvd is also a popular holiday spot! They are known for their lakeside lit displays. You can satisfy your sweet tooth while being mesmerized by their amazing light show! Reservations are highly recommended.
- And, let’s face it, no list of Christmas lights in Austin would be complete if I didn’t mention the 37th Street Lights. This is a fun, wacky, and “keep Austin weird” kind of display that you simply must see! Check out their 37th Street Lights Facebook page for more details.
Surrounding Austin Area Christmas Light Displays
Along with these great sites to see right in Austin, there are many in the surrounding towns and communities.
- One really fun display for the kids (and the kids at heart) is Santa’s Ranch in New Braunfels. The ranch is open now through January 2nd. Drive through a mile of winding country road and take in the beautiful lights and animated displays. Please see their website for tickets. From Austin, simply head south on IH-35 and exit 199.
- Marble Falls is also known for a lovely display. Titled the Walkway of Lights, they are open nightly until January 3rd. Marble Falls is located about 50 miles northwest of Austin. This is a self-guided winter wonderland with more than a million lights on 230 sculptures. There is a lighted pole tree with over 17,000 multi-colored lights, and a light tunnel. The Walkway is free to the public, but donations are greatly appreciated.
Hit The Road…And Enjoy!
As you can see, there are many lighting displays to choose from to brighten up your holiday season! Kids and parents alike will “ooh” and “aah” over these magnificent presentations, so everyone pile in the car and enjoy!
photo credit: xmas light web of bokeh via photopin (license)